Location: Sofala, Zambezia, Manica, and Tete Provinces
Event: Cyclone Idai made landfall on Thursday March 15, 2019 in the city of Beira, in Sofala Province, and left a trail of destruction across the central provinces of Sofala, Manica, Zambézia, and Tete. Road access to Beira has been cut off due to flood waters. Electricity, potable water, and telephone service in Beira and surrounding areas are is. Heavy rains are expected to continue.
Actions to Take:
- Reconsider travel to Sofala, Zambezia, Manica, and Tete provinces.
- Monitor the local news for updates.
- Seek secure shelter.
- Follow directions from local officials and take other appropriate actions as needed.
- Visit the Joint Typhoon Warning Center and Tropical Storm Risk (TSR) websites.
- U.S. Embassy Maputo, Mozambique
(+258) 84-306-6480 (after hours)
- State Department – – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Mozambique Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.