Location: Sofala, Zambezia, Manica, and Tete Provinces
Event: Cyclone Idai is developing in the Mozambique Channel. The storm is expected to make landfall in northern Sofala and southern Zambezia provinces between Thursday, March 14 and Friday, March 15, 2019. Forecasters expect extremely high winds, dangerous storm tides, heavy rainfall, and flooding in the provinces of: Sofala, Zambezia, Manica, and Tete.
Actions to Take:
- Reconsider travel to Sofala, Zambezia, Manica, and Tete provinces until the storm has dissipated.
- Monitor the local news for updates.
- Seek secure shelter.
- Follow directions from local officials and take other appropriate actions as needed.
- Visit the Joint Typhoon Warning Center and Tropical Storm Risk (TSR) for updated storm tracking information.
- U.S. Embassy Maputo, Mozambique
(+258) 84-306-6480 (after hours)
- State Department – – Consular Affairs
- Mozambique Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.