Location: Maputo, Gaza, Inhambane, Manica, and Sofala Provinces
Event: Mozambican authorities predict the occurrence of heavy rainfall (more than 50 millimeters in 24 hours), locally very strong downpour, accompanied by severe thunderstorms and winds with strong gusts up to 80 kilometers per hour from the early hours of January 06. At sea, waves could reach heights of 4.5 meters.
Areas of risk include:
Maputo Province – Matutuine, Namaacha, Boane, Moamba, Magude, Manhica, Marracuene districts as well as Maputo and Matola cities
Gaza Province – Chokwe, Bilene, Mandlakazi, Limpopo, Mapai, Mabalane, Chicualacuala, Chigubo, Chibuto, Guija, Chongoene districts as well as Xai-Xai city
Inhambane Province – Zavala, Inharrime, Jangamo, Panda, Funhalouro, and Mabote, Homoine, Morrumbene, Massinga, Vilankulo, Inhassoro, Govuro districts as well as Maxixe and Inhambane cities
Manica Province – Machaze, Mossurize, Sussundenga, Macate, Gondola, Vanduzi, Manica, Barue, Macossa, Guro, Tambara districts as well as Chimoio city
Sofala Province – Machanga, Chibabava, Buzi, Dondo, Nhamatanda, Muanza, Gorongosa, Cheringoma, Marromeu, Maringue, Caia, Chemba districts as well as Beira city
* The same system has the potential to impact the weather status of the Tete and Zambezia Provinces.
Actions to Take:
- Reconsider travel to the provinces of Maputo, Gaza, Inhambane, Manica, and Sofala until the thunderstorms and winds have dissipated.
- Monitor the local news for updates.
- Seek secure shelter.
- Follow directions from local officials and take other appropriate actions as needed.
- Visit the Tropical Storm Risk for updated storm tracking information.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444