Passport Services

The Consular Section accepts passport applications.  A passport renewal normally takes 2 weeks to process.

Two passport photos are required to apply for a passport.

Please visit the Passport Wizard to complete the correct passport forms.  Please print the form and submit it at your appointment.


  1. Completed passport application from the Passport Application Wizard, please review carefully to ensure proper form selection.
  2. One photo compliant with passport photo guidelines.
  3. Evidence of citizenship. 
  4. Passport fees in USD or the equivalent in meticais. Payable in cash or debit/credit card only.

If you have changed your name by marriage or divorce, you may apply for a new passport to be issued in your new name. We no longer amend passports. You will need to submit documentary evidence such as a court order, marriage or divorce certificate, or other satisfactory evidence to support a change of name. Only originals or certified copies will be accepted.

Emergency Passports are issued only in cases of extreme hardship or emergency and have limited validity.

Additional Passport Pages. Visa pages are no longer being added. If your passport is running out of pages please apply for new passport.

Lost and Stolen passports should be reported immediately to the nearest Embassy and to the local police.

The U.S. Embassy accepts applications to replace passports that have been lost, stolen, or damaged.

An applicant without a passport, due to loss or theft, must appear in person to submit the passport application and accompanying documents.  In addition to the submission of the DS-64 form and proof of identity, applicants are obliged to follow the steps under the “Renew a Passport” tab (above).

Replacement passports can be normally issued within two weeks. In cases where the applicant must travel urgently, the Consulate can issue an ’emergency passport’ with limited validity.  This passport is valid for all travel and can be exchanged for a full validity passport at an embassy or consulate overseas or at a Passport Agency in the United States.

Passport Renewals for Young Adults (First Time Adult Passport)

Passports for Minors

Parents and applicants preparing to renew a minor passport should begin by reviewing the steps under the “Renew a Passport” tab (above).

In compliance with the Two-Parent Signature Consent Law, both parents of minors under 16 years old must be present to sign the passport application and produce a certified or original birth certificate establishing the parental relationship.  An absent parent should submit a notarized DS-3053 giving permission for the issuance of a passport to the minor child along with a copy of their government-issued identification.

First time passport applications can also be accepted in the Consular Section for newborn Americans.  American citizens born outside of the U.S. may wish to first obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA).  If your child was born in Mozambique and you wish to apply for a CRBA, please visit our website to make an appointment and or email us at for additional information.