Notarial Services

U.S. embassies and consulates cannot authenticate diplomas or other documents from universities and other schools in the United States or provide notarial services related to such credentials.

For more information please visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet page.

Documents used for legal purposes in the U.S. may require notarization by a U.S. consular official.

The individual who needs to sign the document must appear in person at the Consular Section, present proper identification (a valid passport or other official, government-issued photo ID) and pay the appropriate fee.  If witnesses are required, you must bring your own.  Do not sign the document until requested to do so by the Consular Office.  Depending on the nature of the document, the Consular Officer will either “take an acknowledgment” that your signature was done freely and with an understanding of the document’s contents or “administer an oath” whereby you swear or affirm the contents of a document are true.

Note: Consular Officers do not certify that the contents of submitted document are true.  The officer only certifies that you have made an oath or affirmation that they are.  As a general rule, the Consular Officer only certifies true copies of documents issued by the U.S. Department of State.

There is a $50 fee for each document needing notarization. Fees can be paid in cash, either U.S. dollar, Meticais and most major credit or debit cards.