Citizenship Services

The American Citizen Services Unit handles a wide variety of services. The unit issues emergency passports, processes passport applications, provides notarial services, voting information, and documents births and deaths of Americans in Mozambique. It also assists travelers in distress; for example: assisting Americans who are arrested, incarcerated or victims of crime.

Please allow several hours per appointment – while we make every effort to provide efficient service, unanticipated emergencies can occur at anytime.


Consular fees can only be paid with cash( Meticais or US Dollars), Debit and credit card. Private checks are not acceptable.

Security at the Embassy

For security reasons do not bring luggage such as large backpacks, laptop computers or large cameras. Security guards will hold small tourist cameras and cellular phones until your departure. There is no storage available for other items – please do not bring them to the Embassy

What Service Do You Require?

Consular Report of Birth Abroad ( Under the age 18)

As a U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy in Maputo to establish an official record of the child’s claim to or acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), Form FS-240. This form is evidence of U.S. citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday.

Applying for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad

Consular Reports of Birth Abroad for Children born in the Republic of South Africa

Mpumalanga and Guateng Provinces are a part of U.S. Consulate General Johannesburg’s consular district, and all consular reports of birth abroad for children born in these provinces will be processed there.  While it is possible to submit these applications at the U.S. Embassy in Maputo, this will add substantially to the processing time, as the applications will be sent to Johannesburg for adjudication. Submission in Maputo may also lead to requests for further documentary evidence from Johannesburg before a determination of eligibility can be made.

Applying for a CRBA is a simple process, but does require you to collect and submit some documentation.  We offer this service by appointment only in Maputo. Generally speaking, both parents should appear along with their child, to apply.  For your convenience, if both parents appear, you may also apply for your child’s first passport when you report your child’s birth.

To Apply for Your Child’s Consular Report of Birth Abroad, please complete Form DS-2029 (PDF 62 KB), Application for Consular Report of Birth Abroad, then write an email to to schedule an appointment for the service. Bring payment for the 100 USD for the CRBA and 105 for the passport, along with the following supporting documents:

  1. Child’s Mozambican Birth Certificate. This is the Mozambican birth certificate issued by local authorities.  This document must show the biological parents’ names.  Please bring the original document.
  2. Declaration from the hospital.
  3. Evidence of Parents’ Citizenship and Identity. Your current passport is the preferred form of proof. A U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable. In all cases we need originals.
  4. For married parents,a marriage certificate. If your certificate is in a language other than English or Portuguese, a certified translation must be provided. Please bring the original document.
  5. For parents with prior marriages, we require divorce decrees, annulments, or death certificates showing that the marriages have legally ended.  If your document is in a language other than English or Portuguese, a certified translation must be provided. Please bring the original.
  6. Proof of the U.S. citizen parent’s physical presence in the U.S. Examples of acceptable primary evidence of this physical presence include:  Original school transcripts, records of military service showing nature of discharge (if any), Social Security income statements, and employment records.  Please submit original statements rather than copies of originals.  Secondary evidence might include:  income tax returns filed in the U.S., utility bills, medical records, former/current passports with stamps, airline ticket stubs, credit card bills, or notarized affidavits from former/current employers. The amount of time you must demonstrate that you resided in the U.S. to transmit citizenship to your child will depend on your marital status and if only one or both parents are U.S. citizens. More information can be found here at bring all original documents.
  7. If the parents are not married or if the unmarried U.S. citizen father is not present on the day of the application, we need a notarized affidavit of parentage, physical presence, and financial support from the father.  Please fill out the DS-5507 Affidavit of Parentage and Physical Presence(PDF 36 KB).
  8. For unmarried U.S. citizen fathers, we also require a legal statement recognizing paternity and a legal statement regarding custody.  Please bring the original documents.
  9. If you also wish to apply for your child’s first passport, please also bring the forms outlined here.
  10. Information about applying for your child’s social security number can be found on the main website for the Social Security Administration.

Please remember to bring all required documentation with you to your appointment. If you do not bring all of the required forms and supporting documentation, you may be required to reschedule your appointment and there will be a delay in processing your case.

Claims to U.S Citizenship (Over 18)

If you are over the age of 18, were born to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, and believe that you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please review this website for more information on U.S. nationality law.