Parents of American children born abroad should obtain a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), which is evidence of the child’s U.S. citizenship.  A CRBA should be obtained as soon as possible after the birth of the child and cannot be issued after age eighteen.  Parents will have to submit proof of their citizenship and identity as well.

If your child was born in Mozambique and you wish to apply for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad please email us at to make an appointment and for information and documentation requirements.

The CRBA is issued by the consular district where the child is born.  CRBAs for children born in Nelspruit are issued by U.S. Consulate Johannesburg.  A child born outside the U.S. must have a CRBA before receiving a U.S. passport.

For more information on CRBAs please click here.