Travel Alert – Additional COVID-19 Mitigation Measures (5 February 2021)
Event: On February 4, President Nyusi announced new mitigation measures to combat COVID-19, effective February 5 for 30 days. (Please note: This information is taken directly from President Nyusi’s speech and will be updated on the U.S. Embassy website once the official regulations are published).
Prior measures (announced January 13) are generally maintained, with a number of additional or more stringent measures, including:
- In the Greater Maputo area (Maputo, Matola, Marracuene, and Boane) there is a curfew in place from 9 p.m. – 4 a.m. every night.
- Face-to-face classes at all educational institutions are closed with the exception of exams in progress.
- Commercial establishments will be open from 9 a.m. – 7 p.m. Monday – Saturday, and 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. on Sunday. Restaurants may remain open until 8 p.m. every day.
- Places of worship are closed, and no religious celebrations or conferences are permitted.
- Private events are limited to a maximum of 20 people.
- Government events must not exceed 50 participants.
- The sale of alcoholic beverages from stalls is prohibited.
- Additional safety measures are to be immediately implemented in all public establishments.
- Public and private sector establishments will be held responsible for non-compliance with safety measures.
- The use of a clear plastic face shield does not replace the use of a facemask.
- Recreational and leisure sports and games are prohibited.
Actions to Take:
- Read the Boletim da Republica for full details.
- Visit the Embassy’s COVID-19 page.
- Visit the CDC Travelers Health Page for Mozambique.
- Have travel documents up to date and easily accessible.
- Have evacuation plans that do not rely on U.S. government assistance.
- S. Embassy Maputo, Mozambique
For Emergencies: +258-855-911-911
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Mozambique Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter