Location: South Africa
Event: KLM will operate a Repatriation Flight from Johannesburg to Amsterdam on July 12, 2020. U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents may purchase seats on this flight if ticketed to a U.S. destination. The Embassy will arrange overland transportation from Maputo to the assembly point. Passengers on this flight must purchase tickets and notify the Embassy of intent to travel by July 5.
July 12 KLM Repatriation Flight from Johannesburg
KLM is offering periodic repatriation flights from Johannesburg to Amsterdam. The Embassy was notified that U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents may purchase seats on these flights if they are ticketed through to a U.S. destination. The Embassy will provide logistical support for passengers wishing to travel on the July 12 flight only. The Embassy will charter a bus to facilitate ground transportation from Maputo to Johannesburg.
The borders between South Africa and Mozambique remain closed for non-cargo passenger traffic. The Embassy will liaise with the Mozambican and South African governments to facilitate passenger entry into South Africa at the Ressano-Garcia/Lebombo border posts.
Please note: The Embassy has not received any indication from the Mozambican Government on the resumption of international commercial flights.
Steps to Participate in this Repatriation Flight:
By July 5, 2020
- Purchase tickets directly with KLM for the July 12 flight (KL0592) from Johannesburg to Amsterdam and onward travel to the U.S. by calling +27 (0)10 205 0100 or online at www.klm.co.za (select “one-way” and search for the July 12 KL0592 flight). Tickets are non-refundable, and passengers must book travel to a U.S. destination to be eligible for the flight. Please direct all questions regarding availability, cost, baggage allowance, or other flight details to KLM. This flight is likely to sell out quickly.
- Notify the U.S. Embassy at MaputoUSCitizens@state.gov of your intent to travel. Email should include each passenger’s full name, digital scan of U.S. passport or green card, U.S. address, local contact information, and your flight confirmation.
On July 12, 2020
- Overland transportation will depart Maputo at 0700. The Embassy will send instructions by July 8. Transportation will not be delayed for late-arriving travelers, so it is imperative passengers arrive to the meeting point on time. Passengers will need to arrange their own transportation to the meeting point in Maputo.
- Passengers must show valid travel documents to be permitted to travel. New passengers will not be permitted after July 5, 2020, and only the Embassy-notified travelers will be permitted to join the overland transportation.
- Passengers will be required to pay directly to the driver of the chartered bus. More instructions to follow.
- Passengers will deboard the bus at the Ressano-Garcia border, transit the border on foot, and join a second bus on the South African side.
- Passengers will be transported to the KLM assembly point near JNB airport well ahead of the 20:40 flight departure time. KLM will communicate the location of the assembly point 24 – 48 hours prior to departure.
- KLM will conduct a health screening and provide transportation from the assembly point to the airport for the flight departing July 12, 2020.
- Travelers should consult the Mozambican Government portal for information on COVID-19 https://covid19.ins.gov.mz/ for the most accurate and up to date information in Mozambique.
- The Boletim da Republica 87, Series 1 delineates the full list of State of Emergency measures. An electronic copy of the Boletim can be purchased at https://www.inm.gov.mz/.
- Mozambican Government COVID-19 Hotline: 84 146 / 82149 / 1490
- MISAU is offering a daily press briefing on the COVID-19 situation and efforts to prevent the spread of the disease.
- Smart Traveler Enrollment Program: https://step.state.gov
- U.S. Embassy Alerts and Messages: https://mz.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- Department of State Global Level 4 Health Alert
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Travel.state.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page
- For information on traveling to or through South Africa: https://za.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/