An official website of the United States government

Notarial services are available for all nationalities by appointment


U.S. citizens services require an appointment.


Hand signing documentNotarial services are for all nationalities and are by appointment only. Normally the document to be notarized is for use within the United States, although there may be exceptions. If you have multiple documents to be notarized, you should only make one appointment. You will pay $50 USD, at the Embassy or Consulate on your day of appointment, for each notary seal required.

On the day of your appointment, you must:

  • Bring the complete, unsigned documents to be notarized. Even if there are pages that do not require signature or seals, you must present the entire packet.
  • Present a valid government-issued ID such as a passport or driver’s license. The name on the documents must be the same as the name on your ID.
  • Pay $50 USD per notary seal.
  • Be of sound mind and understand the document you want notarized. Consular staff is not permitted to explain contents to you.
  • If your notary service requires a witness, you must arrange for your own witnesses. Consular staff cannot witness your documents.

Examples of Notarial Services Performed At No Charge

DS-3053: To notarize a DS-3053 Statement of Consent: Issuance of a U.S. Passport To a Minor Under Age 16 (PDF, 345K), please review the instructions listed on the form, the information fields that must be completed, and bring your original, valid, government-issued photo ID as well as a photocopy of both sides. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.Scales, Seal, Pen

Power of Attorney (in conjunction with U.S. passport applications): When both parents are unable to be personally present to apply for a minor’s U.S. passport, and they wish to designate a third party to do so, they may sign a power of attorney (POA) before a notary public. This POA must contain specific data fields; see a sample.  Note that photocopies of both sides of each parents’ original, valid, government-issued photo ID must be included with the POA. As the U.S. Department of State requires that this form be notarized, this service is performed free of charge.

At the Direct Request of a U.S. Municipal, State or Federal Entity

At the Direct Request of a Foreign Government

U.S. embassies and consulates cannot authenticate diplomas or other documents from universities and other schools in the United States or provide notarial services related to such credentials.

For more information please visit the Bureau of Consular Affairs Internet page.

Documents used for legal purposes in the U.S. may require notarization by a U.S. consular official.

The individual who needs to sign the document must appear in person at the Consular Section, present proper identification (a valid passport or other official, government-issued photo ID) and pay the appropriate fee.  If witnesses are required, you must bring your own.  Do not sign the document until requested to do so by the Consular Office.  Depending on the nature of the document, the Consular Officer will either “take an acknowledgment” that your signature was done freely and with an understanding of the document’s contents or “administer an oath” whereby you swear or affirm the contents of a document are true.

Note: Consular Officers do not certify that the contents of submitted document are true.  The officer only certifies that you have made an oath or affirmation that they are.  As a general rule, the Consular Officer only certifies true copies of documents issued by the U.S. Department of State.

There is a $50 fee for each document needing notarization. Fees can be paid in cash, either U.S. dollar, Meticais and most major credit or debit cards.

The U.S. Department of State is the body authorized to authenticated documents created by civil registries domestically for those abroad. Examples of these documents include but are not limited to birth, death, and marriage certificates. The process for authenticating documents can be found here. Additional questions regarding this process are best directed to the Office of Authentication.