The U.S. Embassy in Maputo is aware of recent armed attacks on Mozambican government facilities in Mocimboa da Praia, Cabo Delgado and the ongoing law enforcement effort to restore order. In light of continuing uncertainty, we are cautioning U.S. citizens to avoid Mocimboa da Praia and the surrounding area. American citizens already in Mocimboa da Praia are advised to monitor news reports, remain apprised of developing events, and review their personal security situation. The U.S. Embassy has received reports of roads being blocked as part of the law enforcement response to the situation and cautions U.S. citizens to plan accordingly if they choose to depart the area.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Mozambique.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Maputo, located at 193, Avenida Kenneth Kaunda, and is open Monday through Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. You may also call 21-49-2797 during normal business hours or 84-306-6480 during after-hours.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.