Location: Maputo downtown area, along Avenida Guerra Popular and surroundings.
Event: Local authorities imposed a deadline of March 13 for street vendors to clear the area and discontinue selling goods. In response, dozens of people are protesting and rioting, with reports of violence and destruction of property.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the area of downtown Maputo including Alto Mae, Baixa, Ronil and surroundings;
- Monitor local media for updates;
- Review your personal security plans; and
- Avoid demonstrations and unexpected crowds.
- U.S. Embassy Maputo, Mozambique
+258 21 49 2797
+258 21 49 0723 (after hours)
- U.S State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 / 202-501-4444
- Mozambique Country Information travel.state.gov
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.