Location: Some sections of the EN1 and EN6 in Sofala and Manica provinces due to violent attacks on vehicles.
Event: There have been recent and ongoing violent attacks against vehicles, especially trucks and buses, along sections of these highways resulting in serious injuries and deaths. Attacks have occurred on the EN1 between Chibabava and Gorongosa, and along the EN6 between Chimoio in Manica Province and Tica in Sofala Province.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid these areas when possible;
- Be aware of your surroundings;
- Use caution when walking or driving at night;
- Review your personal security plans;
- Stay alert in locations frequented by Westerners;
- Keep a low profile
- Monitor local media for breaking events and be prepared to adjust your plans.
- U.S. Embassy Maputo, Mozambique
+258 21 49 2797
+258 21 49 0723 (after hours)
- U.S. State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 / 202-501-4444
- Mozambique Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates.