Location: Throughout the Republic of South Africa
Event: Reports of civil unrest and violence continue in South Africa. Violence has not targeted U.S. citizens however the unrest has caused some fuel shortages in KwaZulu-Natal and Gauteng provinces. Travelers from Mozambique planning on visiting Mpumalanga or KwaZulu Natal provinces should take precautions and bring adequate supplies for the journey. There is a risk that the transportation interruptions in South Africa could result in reduced imports, including food, from South Africa. U.S. Embassy Maputo personnel have been advised to reconsider non-essential travel to South Africa. If you choose to enter South Africa, please review the actions below.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Review personal security plan.
- Monitor local media for updates on changing conditions.
- U.S. Embassy Maputo, Mozambique / mz.usembassy.gov / MaputoUSCitizens@state.gov / For Emergencies: +258-855-911-911
- State Department – Consular Affairs / 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Mozambique Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts and updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter