An official website of the United States government

Apply for Citizenship

Claims to U.S. Citizenship (Over 18)


If you are over the age of 18, were born to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, and believe that you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please review this website for more information on U.S. nationality law.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (Under the age 18)


As a U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy in Maputo to establish an official record of the child’s claim to or acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), Form FS-240. This form is evidence of U.S. citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday.

Consular Reports of Birth Abroad for Children born in the Republic of South Africa


Mpumalanga and Guateng Provinces are a part of U.S. Consulate General Johannesburg’s consular district, and all consular reports of birth abroad for children born in these provinces will be processed there.  While it is possible to submit these applications at the U.S. Embassy in Maputo, this will add substantially to the processing time, as the applications will be sent to Johannesburg for adjudication. Submission in Maputo may also lead to requests for further documentary evidence from Johannesburg before a determination of eligibility can be made.

Applying for a CRBA is a simple process, but does require you to collect and submit some documentation.  We offer this service by appointment only in Maputo. Generally speaking, both parents should appear along with their child, to apply. Parents also often opt to apply for the child’s first passport at the same time as the CRBA.

How to apply online


You can now apply for a CRBA electronically at U.S. Embassy in Maputo.  This new online feature allows U.S. citizen parents to complete a CRBA application online, upload all required documents, and submit payment prior to the in-person interview.

  1. To apply for a CRBA online, you must create a MyTravelGov. MyTravelGov is a secured, encrypted portal also accessed via https://MyTravel.state.gov. Watch this video to learn more about creating your account.
  2. Once you create a MyTravelGov account, access eCRBA and submit your application online. The online process provides applicants with step-by-step instructions to complete the application.
  3. Review the required documents for the CRBA application using the checklist below under Application Requirements.
  4. Complete the online application and submit payment. Wait 72 hours after payment and email us at MaputoUSCitizens@state.gov to schedule an appointment. This provides time for your payment to be processed prior to your CRBA interview.
  5. Attend your in-person interview appointment with your original documents. The child must be present at the interview appointment. Generally, both parents also attend the interview. 

Application Requirements:


Parents typically choose to apply for the child’s U.S. passport at the same time they apply for the Consular Report of Birth Abroad. The list below covers both the Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and the U.S. passport application.



  1. Online Application’s Summary Page (with 8-digit Online Application Number)
  2. Application for U.S. Passport (DS-11) (PDF 1.79 MB)
  3. Form DS-3053 (If one parent is applying) (PDF 420 KB)



  • For child: Original registered birth certificate issued by the Mozambican Civil Registry.
  • For child: Two 2×2 passport photos for the application. Click here for more information on photo basics.
  • From U.S. citizen parent: Proof of U.S. citizenship. This can include a U.S. birth certificate, a U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a U.S. Certificate of Citizenship, or a U.S. Certificate of Naturalization. You should bring the original or a clear, photocopy of your document with a U.S. notary seal to the CRBA interview.
  • From U.S. citizen parent: U.S. passport/s and previous Mozambican passport: Bring the Originals or U.S. notarized copies of all pages (even if they are blank) of all passports (U.S. and Mozambican).
  • From Non-U.S. citizen parent: Government-issued valid photo ID (such as passport, driving license, national ID, or voter ID, etc.).
  • From mother: Prenatal documents and hospital records (e.g., ultrasounds, prescriptions, evidence of pre-natal doctor visits, hospital discharge documents, vaccination card, etc.).
  • From both parents: Original marriage documents
  • From both parents: Original or U.S. notarized divorce documents of parents or death certificates (if applicable).
  • U.S. citizen parent’s Evidence of Physical Presence (examples of documentation include the list below – please bring ALL examples with you to the interview to provide conclusive proof of physical presence):
    • U.S. passport stamps may be considered a part of the evidence submitted but should not be the sole documentary evidence. Drivers’ licenses do not constitute evidence of physical presence.
    • Wage and tax statements (W-2)
    • Rental leases
    • Official academic transcripts (from any level of school – elementary, middle, or high school, vocational/trade, or college/university)
    • Professional licenses
    • Vaccination or other medical records
    • Property tax records
    • Utility bills
    • Employment records
    • Birth certificates for other U.S.-born children
    • If you have other children who have been issued with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, this may be considered as supplemental evidence.
    • *U.S. military service records, employment with U.S. Government or certain intergovernmental international organizations; or as a dependent, unmarried child and member of the household of a parent in such service or employment (except where indicated) – may count towards U.S. physical presence even if employed outside the United States

*Certified copies must be notarized by a US notary public or US consular officer. Mozambican notarial will not be accepted.



 The fee for CRBA is $100 (To be paid online only). 

To calculate the total cost of your new passport click here. (Passport fee will be collected on the day of your appointment in cash/credit card only)

NOTE: You may be asked to provide additional documentation at the time of your interview. By regulation you will have 90 days to submit the requested documentation, or the case will be closed for insufficient evidence to establish U.S. citizenship of the applicant. All fees are non-refundable.