Event: On February 16, 2022, President Filipe Jacinto Nyusi extended the current state of calamity restrictions to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 (Decree 4/2022), while announcing changes to the restrictions. These restrictions apply to diplomats and foreign residents in Mozambique, as well as Mozambican citizens.
The following is a summary of the changes to the restrictions which began at midnight February 19, 2022, for a period of 60 days, until April 18 (all other measures remain in effect):
1. The curfew is lifted throughout the national territory.
2. All border posts are reopened.
3. Increase in the maximum number of visitors in hospitals from 2 to 3 per day. It is still prohibited to visit patients with COVID-19.
4. Visit to inmates follows the normal regime adopted by the National Penitentiary System.
5. Recreational leisure games and sports competitions for amateur and senior levels are authorized, subject to compliance with the health protocols.
6. Spectators are allowed in sports games and championships but should not exceed 75% of the maximum capacity of the venue.
7. The practice of physical education and other sports activities in educational establishments is authorized.
8. Night courses may resume.
9. The maximum number of students per classroom is increased from 20 to 30.
10. Shows with a maximum of 500 spectators indoors and 1000 outdoors are allowed, without exceeding 50% of the venue’s capacity.
11. Restaurants and bars may be open until 11:00 pm.
12. Private social events, religious services, public and private meetings and State events may now have a maximum of 500 participants indoors and 1000 outdoors, without exceeding 50% of the venue’s capacity.
13. The maximum capacity in theaters, cinemas, game rooms, cultural centers and auditoriums is increased from 40% to 80%.
14. The maximum number of participants in funerals of deaths that have not been caused by COVID-19 has increased to 200 and in case of death by COVID-19, increased to 20.
15. Swimming pools may operate at 75% of their capacity.
16. The beaches are open from 5:00 am to 6:00 pm, but the sale and consumption of alcoholic beverages on the beaches and crowds of people remains prohibited.
17. Multipurpose and large-scale gyms may operate at full capacity and small and medium-sized gyms at 75% of their capacity.