Location: South Africa
Event: KLM will operate a Repatriation Flight from Johannesburg to Amsterdam on July 12, 2020. U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents may purchase seats on this flight if ticketed to a U.S. destination. The Embassy will arrange overland transportation from Maputo to the assembly point. Passengers on this flight must notify the Embassy of intent to travel and purchase tickets by July 5.
July 12 KLM Repatriation Flight from Johannesburg
KLM is offering periodic repatriation flights from Johannesburg to Amsterdam. The Embassy was notified that U.S. citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents may purchase seats on these flights is they are ticketed through to a U.S. destination. The Embassy will provide logistical support for passengers wishing to travel on the July 12 flight only. The Embassy will charter a bus to facilitate ground transportation from Maputo to Johannesburg.
The borders between South Africa and Mozambique remain closed for non-cargo passenger traffic. The Embassy will liaise with the Mozambican and South African governments to facilitate passenger entry into South Africa at the Ressano-Garcia/Lebombo border posts.
Contact KLM at +27 (0)10 205 0100 to book your flight if interested, or with questions regarding availability, cost, baggage allowance, or other flight details. Please note: This flight is likely to sell out quickly.
Steps to Participate in this Repatriation flight:
By July 5, 2020
- Purchase tickets directly with KLM for the July 12 Flight from Johannesburg to Amsterdam and onward travel to the U.S. by calling +27 (0)10 205 0100. Tickets are non-refundable, and passengers must book travel to a U.S. destination to be eligible for the flight.
- Notify the U.S. Embassy at MaputoUSCitizens@state.gov of your intent to travel. Email should include each passenger’s full name, digital scan of U.S. passport or green card, U.S. address, local contact information, and your flight confirmation.
On July 11 or July 12, 2020 (TBD depending on time of departure of flight)
- The Embassy will send instructions prior to July 8 to join the overland transportation. Transportation will not be delayed for late-arriving travelers, so it is imperative passengers arrive on time. Passengers will need to arrange their own transportation to the meeting point in Maputo.
- Passengers must show valid travel documents to be permitted to travel. New passengers will not be permitted after July 5, 2020, and only the Embassy-notified travelers will be permitted to join the overland transportation.
- Passengers will be required to pay by cash directly to the driver of the chartered bus or will be invoiced for reimbursement, to be paid at pay.gov. More instructions to follow.
- Passengers will be transported to a location near JNB airport. If overland transportation is on July 11 due to early morning departure of July 12 flight, passengers will be responsible for booking lodging the night of July 11.
On July 12, 2020
- Passengers must secure transportation to the assembly point on July 12, 2020 near JHB airport. KLM will communicate the location of the assembly point 24 – 48 hours prior to departure. (If overland transportation is on July 12 due to late afternoon / early evening departure of July 12 flight, passengers will be transported directly to assembly point.)
- KLM will conduct a health screening and provide transportation from the assembly point to the airport for the flight departing July 12, 2020.
- Travelers should consult the Mozambican Government portal for information on COVID-19 https://covid19.ins.gov.mz/for the most accurate and up to date information in Mozambique.
- The Boletimda Republica 87, Series 1 delineates the full list of State of Emergency measures. An electronic copy of the Boletim can be purchased at https://www.inm.gov.mz/.
- Mozambican Government COVID-19 Hotline: 84 146 / 82149 / 1490
- MISAU is offering a daily press briefing on the COVID-19 situation and efforts to prevent the spread of the disease.
- Smart Traveler Enrollment Program: https://step.state.gov
- U.S. Embassy Alerts and Messages: https://mz.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/security-and-travel-information/
- COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov
- Department of State Global Level 4 Health Alert
- CDC page on COVID-19
- Travel.state.gov Country Information and Travel Advisory page
- For information on traveling to or through South Africa: https://za.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/